Skip to main content

Weed Abatement FAQs

What do I do if I am not the owner of the property listed on the Notice? 

If you received a Weed Abatement Notice and you do not own the property listed, please contact Metro Fire’s Weed Abatement phone line at (916) 859-4327. Property owner information is provided to the District by the Sacramento County Assessor’s Office.

To change or verify property owner information, contact the Sacramento County Assessor’s Office at (916) 875-0700 or visit the office at 3701 Power Inn Rd., Suite 3000, Sacramento, CA 95826-4329.

Phone hours: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Office hours: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM

My parcel is too wet to cut, and my tractor gets stuck in the mud. What can I do? 

Although it may be a preferred method by some property owners, th​​e use of a tractor is not the only method available to abate a parcel. Even when a tractor is used, it often cannot be used to abate the entire parcel (hand work is needed around the perimeter of the parcel in addition to the tractor work). If a parcel is too wet for a tractor to operate, it is still the responsibility of the property owner to maintain the parcel; perhaps a tractor is not the most appropriate tool to use. As an example, there are many parcels in the City that are too steep to allow the use of a tractor, but the property owners still have the responsibility to maintain their parcels, and most of them do maintain their parcels.

I cut my weeds before the deadline, so why did I still receive an Inspection Notice? 

Property owners must maintain their property throughout the dry season. If a property is cut prior to the deadline, and the growth returns prior to an inspection, then the property could be found in violation. Property owners should inspect their properties on a regular basis to check for re-growth, or any new problems, such as dead trees, or items dumped on the property without permission.

I want to abate the weeds on my property, but who can I hire for this type of work? 

The Fire District’s Community Risk Reduction Division maintains a listing of contractors in this area who perform various types of abatement work. Although the Fire District cannot specify or recommend any particular contractor, on our website a list of contractors is made available to the public as a resource.

You may also call the Weed Abatement Coordinator at (916) 859-4327 for a list of Weed Abatement Contractors.

I cut my weeds and pruned my trees. Can I burn the cut material? 

Due to restrictions from the Sacramento Area Air Quality Management District, open burning is not permitted. Yard waste must be disposed of properly in your household yard waste container, or taken to a Sacramento County Landfill site for recycling.

How do I report a weed problem? 

You can report a weed abatement problem to the Fire District by calling the dedicated Weed Abatement phone line at 916-859-4327.

Neglected Landscaping - Front lawns that are severely overgrown with lush weeds, brush, or are generally neglected, are not enforced by the Fire District. Before you call, please have the specific problem and address/location available.

When will my property be inspected? 

The first notices are mailed to non compliant property owners in May. The First Inspections begin 30 days after the date on the notice; there is no pre-set schedule for the inspection of any particular parcel. If a property is not in compliance at the time of inspection, the property owner will receive a second notice; an inspection will occur 15 days after the second notice has been mailed. If non compliant at the second inspection, the property is posted with a Notice to Abate Sign. The property owner will receive a final notice, and is given 7 days to abate the parcel. If non compliant at the final inspection, a list of non compliant properties is sent to the Abatement Contractor to abate the parcels.

How often will my property be inspected? 

Properties are inspected for compliance throughout the dry season. If a property is not in compliance after the final inspection, the property owner will be billed at the end of compliance for the total cost of abatement.