Metro Fire's Community Emergency Response Team, or "CERT," was established in 2003. The Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District was the first agency in the Sacramento Region to establish a CERT program. Through this program you will receive training in some of the basic skills you may need to respond to a disaster in your neighborhood.
The Metro Fire Basic CERT Class is a free class open to those who live or work in Metro Fire's service area. To register you must be at least 15 years of age (there is no upper age limit).The class is offered twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall.
The Metro Fire CERT Training includes:
- What your local risks are and what you need to do to prepare
- How to manage utilities, hazardous materials, and extinguish small fires using the appropriate Fire Extinguisher
- How to use “Start Triage” and how to treat the “Three Medical Killers” by opening airways, controlling bleeding and treating for shock
- How to provide basic medical aid
- Effectively search for and rescue victims safely during a disaster
- Disaster Psychology
- How to organize volunteers to be effective as a team and support first responder efforts
After completing the Basic Class, interested participants are eligible to continue on in the CERT program. While we encourage those completing the Basic Class to become active volunteers in the program it is not required.
Metro Fire CERT members have become an invaluable affiliated volunteer arm of Metro Fire and have served in numerous capacities. Those volunteers who remain in the program may receive additional training in order to support Metro Fire by:
- providing standby first aid at community events
- Serving as Outreach liaisons at community events
- deploying for high wind events or red flag warnings
- supporting front line personnel during large scale incidents within the District
For more information or to register for an upcoming Basic email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the CERT message line (916) 859-3776
Until Help Arrives:
Jan 20th 2024
Spring Basic 2024
Thursday March 7th 6:00pm - 10:00pm
Saturday March 9th 8:00am - 5:00pm
Thursday March 14 6:00pm - 10:00pm
Saturday March 16 8:00am - 5:00pm
Saturday March 23 8:00am - 12:00pm
Attendance at all 5 sessions is required to obtain a certificate of completion
CERT Basic Training will provide you with information on emergency preparedness and teach you how to safely protect yourself, your loved ones, and your community when disaster strikes.
For further details email CERT@metrofire.ca.gov